- What are the services provided by the Legal Aid Unit of the Faculty of Law, University of Colombo?
The Legal Aid Unit provides two services, a consultation clinic and an in house aid program. The consultation clinic will function every Friday from 3-8 pm, and clients will be able to receive advice from attorneys present regarding legal recourse that they can take with regard to matters that they may be facing.
Selected cases from the consultation clinics will then be recommended for the in-house aid program. Upon the approval of the review committee litigation services will be provided for these cases free of charge.
- Do I need to make an appointment first?
Yes, you need to make an appointment in order to consult an attorney at the consultation clinic. You can do so by calling 0113159090 or 0713868283 between 8.30 am and 6 pm.
- Where is the Legal Aid Unit of the Faculty of Law, University of Colombo located?
The Legal Aid Unit is located on the premises of the Faculty of Law, University of Colombo, and can be accessed through the entrance opposite the NLT building.
- What do I need to bring with me for my appointment?
The documents required for examination will vary depending on the facts of the case, so clients are advised to bring all relevant documentation and information with them when coming for their appointment.
- If my case gets selected for litigation, will I have to pay the stamp duty?
No, the Legal Aid Unit aims to cover the stamp duty pertaining to the cases taken up for litigation, there by further minimizing the burden on clients.
- Can I volunteer with the Legal Aid Unit of the Faculty of Law, University of Colombo?
Yes, the Legal Aid Unit Welcomes Attorneys at Law who wish to volunteer with the clinic. The Attorneys can volunteer for the consultation clinic and/or the in-house aid program. Those interested can contact 0112159090 on 0713868283 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.